On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Kyle Schmitt <kyleaschmitt / gmail.com> wrote:

> Php's docs are good, really good.  But I always felt that it's because
>  it's a domain specific language.

If PHP's docs are good, then Perl documentation must be qualified as
simply extraordinary (and that's true for most modules at CPAN, too).

That's the one thing where I still feel that Ruby doesn't even begin to compare.

Perl documention is wonderfully intergrated to the environment where
it's installed (at least that's true for UNIX, I don't know for
Windows), it's very informative (man perl), very complete and very
simple to use.  I actually learned Perl when I was a student and the
Camel and Llama books where in the "too expensive" category, which
means I learned from the documentation shipped with Perl itself.  I
don't think I would be able to say the same thing for Ruby (which I
learned from the Pickaxe, but I would have probably preferred the
current edition of TRPL if it had been available back then).

And yes, I have been thinking about contributing patches around this.
What stops me is that I don't like ri that much, to be honest, which
probably means that I have to submit patches against ri first.

Marcelo