> Now FORTRAN is 50 years old, there's a FORTRAN 95 standard, and the
> language is still in use (I think -- I haven't written any since 1990).

Most definitly. In my office we is it constantly. There's only one
serious contender for number crunching here and it's C, but then C is
much more of a pain to use, and you need to use the correct flags to
get the kind of optimisations that Fortran gives you out of the box.
Oh, and Fortran has now moved to Fortran 2003 standard (and they are
working on 2008). It's a really nice language to write in... though
it's not suitable for that many jobs.

But this is totally OT, sorry. (it's just rare to find another person
with a good opinion of Fortran ^_^)

Diego