Marc Heiler, 08.04.2008 13:24:
> [Unicode]
>> I need it.
>
> I keep on reading people that need Unicode, and in your case it may very
> well be true and for many others as well.

That's precisely the ignorant attitude that caused the issues we currently have with differen character sets. I'm pretty sure that if computer systems had been emerged from a non-english speaking country at the beginning we wouldn't need to still fight character set issues (there are still too many applications that even have problems with 8bit character sets)

There are definitely more users in the world who *need* Unicode than users who don't need it and therefor don't care.

You can not even get away with a 8bit character set for a european wide application, let alone a world-wide application.

I'm a newbie with Ruby and until I read this discussion I simply assumed it would fully support Unicode "out of the box" especially given the fact that is originates from Japan. I'm actually very confused (not to say shocked) that there *is* a discussion if Ruby needs (or supports?) Unicode.

Unicode (and a relevant encoding such as UTF8) should be the *standard* for all (new) programming languages and not an exception.

Thomas