On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:29 AM, 7stud -- <bbxx789_05ss / yahoo.com> wrote:
> Clement Ow wrote:
>  > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > $options=
>  > ["2008*", "2008*", "700*", "2008*", "2008*"]
>  >
>  > $source=
>  > %w[C:/movtest/testing
>  > C:/movtest/testing/new
>  > U:/movtest/source
>  > U:/movtest/new
>  > U:/movtest/new1]
>  >
>  > $dest=
>  > %w[U:/test_1/
>  > U:/dest1/
>  > U:/dest2/
>  > U:/dest3/
>  > U:/dest4/]
>  >

>  You have 3 arrays with 5 short strings in them.  A character in a string
>  takes up 1 byte of memory.  I don't know exactly what the overhead for
>  an array is, but it is comparatively tiny--although you never know with
>  ruby.
A well judged statement again....

For Ruby 1.9 the overhead of an array is one long and 4 VALUES, I am
not a VM Guru but it would surprise me a lot if a VALUE used more than
4 bytes given their semantic meanings shared flags and klass, the
fourth being a pointer to the content.
I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong but I estimate
the overhead  of less than 21 bytes.

I would guess all your arrays would take up less than 1,000
>yes that seems indeed a save guess....
HTH
Robert
--