Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
> And a question you might want to ask yourself: Do I want to be starring
> on DailyWTF as "the developer before me"?

Haha, point taken. I'm not familiar with metaprogramming or marshall.
I'm looking into both.

ara.t.howard wrote:
did you read my code?

I did, but I must not understand all of it. Sorry.

ara.t.howard wrote:
> why don't you spell out your exact problem and we can show you how.

My db schema has a 'templates' table, a 'fields' table as well as a
'template_fields' join table that connects 'fields' to 'templates'.

'fields' needs to contain information to produce a customized text
string for a particular object. Intuitively, I thought I needed to store
string generating code as a string in 'fields' and execute it against my
object. It was suggested I could do that like this:

person.instance_eval field.code

I use the resulting string and the field's 'name' to assemble a hash for
each field connected to a template:

      rehash = {}
      for field in template.fields
        rehash[field.name] = person.instance_eval field.code
      end

I then use the hash of generated strings and field names for a find and
replace function.