On Mar 31, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Shin guey Wong wrote:
> Julian Leviston wrote:
>> Yeah, the book is okay, but it doesn't have all the patterns of the
>> GOF book, and some of the Ruby is really irksome... and sometimes
>> it's
>> just wrong!
>>
>> Julian.
>
> Can you point out which pattern in the book is wrong with Ruby? I
> never
> read the GOF book. This is the first Design Pattern book I read, I
> really want to know which pattern seems wrong. For me, everything look
> nice and it is a good book for me.

I bought this book about a week ago and absolutely love it. I have the
original GoF book, but this is a fantastic companion to it. Russ'
writing style is very informal which I like. I have found it very easy
to understand his text and examples.

I haven't found any obvious design problems with his code. I would
point out that his example of the Strategy Pattern is a bit lacking.
Oftentimes the strategy will either get a large set of parameters
handed to it in the initializer/constructor OR it will pass a copy
of :self. (Obviously passing :self leads to a lot of tight coupling
between the objects; that detail is also left out of the discussion
too.) He only covered the former case where parameters are passed to
the strategy. This is a minor oversight in my opinion.

I recommend this book.

cr