IƱaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> Hi, AFAIK Ruby uses LF = \n to detect newline. But now I'm coding a
> parser for a protocol that uses CRLF = \r\n for newline. In fact, \n
> is not considered a newline.
>
> Is it possible to get Ruby working with CRLF instead of LF?
>
> For example, I want to declare this string (for testing):
>
> example =<-- END_STRING
> Version 4
> Request_Type: call
> From: sssss
> END_STRING
>
> and I want that string to match \r\n at the end of each line instead
> of \n, is it possible?
>
> PD: Also it would be great if I could enter \r\n in a Linux telnet
> isntead of just \n for amnual testing, but assume it's not appropiate
> question in this maillist ;)
>

> Thanks in advance.

As a newbee regarding the development in ruby I am somewhat surprised
that the CRLF issue is not covered by something like a ruby "pragma".

With perl I am used to write something like:

  use open IN  => ":crlf", OUT => ":bytes";
  use open IN  => ":bytes", OUT => ":crlf";
  use open OUT => ':utf8';
  ... and so on ...

this "pragma" specifies how IO is *generally* to be handled.

don't we have a comparable syntax ?