On 3/25/08, Iki Baz Castillo <ibc / aliax.net> wrote:
> Hi, AFAIK Ruby uses LF = \n to detect newline. But now I'm coding a
>  parser for a protocol that uses CRLF = \r\n for newline. In fact, \n
>  is not considered a newline.
>
>  Is it possible to get Ruby working with CRLF instead of LF?
>
>  For example, I want to declare this string (for testing):
>
>  example =<-- END_STRING
>  Version 4
>  Request_Type: call
>  From: sssss
>  END_STRING
>
>  and I want that string to match \r\n at the end of each line instead
>  of \n, is it possible?

Well, you could type that text in Notepad and then copy/pasting the
text to your code. Or even better, use unix2dos.

>  PD: Also it would be great if I could enter \r\n in a Linux telnet
>  isntead of just \n for amnual testing, but assume it's not appropiate
>  question in this maillist ;)

You know, you can always redirect the input. Instead of typing the
lines, store them in a text file, convert them with unix2dos and then
feed the file to your program:

yourprog < textfile

--
Gerardo Santana