On Mar 25, 12:51 pm, James Tucker <jftuc... / gmail.com> wrote:

> I seem to remember matz talking a lot about diversity. Without being
> so arrogant as to speak for him, I will say that in my opinion, I
> think this is means people should be able to use what they want to,
> and I think that's a good philosophy, for the most part.
>
> Most of the more modern VCS support import and export into svn, so I
> wouldn't be at all surprised if ruby is already being developed on
> several different VCS. This also might actually be a damn good reason
> for staying with svn, as it leaves people with more choices.

Git svn push on Windows is broken, mostly because it depends on the
perl bindings that MSYS lacks (since it requires a subversion
build....) :-P

> > There is a connection anyway. The option for a VCS/DVCS make difficult
> > for users contribute back with patches to fix issues.
>
> Mmm, this is why I'm using (with relative regularity) bazaar, hg, git,
> svn and cvs (you know, I think there's another one too, somewhere) :-(

Me too, but decided to use bzr for personal projects and also keep
track of upstream changes in several others that don't have commit
rights or want to branch and try different things on them.

> > I know there are a few porjects that still uses CVS (win32utils).
>
> > I can't say the choose for Git is alienating the contribution, but I
> > can say is performing a sort of discrimination and exclusion for those
> > users that can't integrate Git properly under their platforms or faces
> > restrictions regarding the tools that can install under their
> > environments.
>
> Give me a shout off-list, I've been using git under msys for quite a
> while now, and it's ok. The daemon doesn't work, but we can't have
> everything :-(

I really don't have problems getting Git working on Windows, I've it
running since way before msysgit get released. But in any case,
requiring so many stuff to get it working (like depending on MSYS)
make things quite complicated: you can use internal commands of
windows while have MSYS in the path (like find and others).

> As far as alienation goes, well, the ability to just grab a .git-ball
> is quite useful, and it works really gracefully with a lot of the
> manual moving around of files that would traditionally leave a mess in
> other SCMs. People get used to their workflows though, preference
> reigns supreme under pragmatism. :-)

Exactly, get anyone choose whatever they want, anarchy! :-P

> I would agree with anyone that said Gits front end is lacking, but
> also, I've been using it for quite a long time now, and have never
> really used the UI.

By UI I mean the way you access / interface with the tool, name it
command line arguments, CLI or GUI. In case of Git, the complexity of
the commands you need to build to perform simple task put too much
pain in my fingers ;-)

> Things I have noticed moving from svn to git for my personal work
> flows is, massive increase in commit frequency, massive increase in
> branch and merge frequency, and the ability to truly work anywhere.
> This comes largely from the distributed nature however, and so isn't
> really that unique to git. I do have to also say though, git is damned
> fast if you keep it gc'd. Also, by comparison to svn, it can save you
> a hell of a lot of disk space - there is something to this content
> tracking malarky.
>
> One final thing, dcommit <3

:-D

--