On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes / gmail.com> wrote:
>  Although I have been using Ruby for awhile, I am really a beginner as I use
>  it very sporadically and depend much on my books and the forum.
>  In the recent past, while trying to learn a GUI tool, I tried writing simple
>  GUI appls using ruby-gnome2, WxRuby, QtRuby, FXRuby, Tk and WideStudio. Only
>  the last one gives you dragANDdrop capabilities, although the widgets looks
>  and feel are not appealing.

While I've never used the functionality (yet), and have only just
started using FXRuby, but the FOX Toolkit and FXRuby support drag and
drop. See:
http://www.fxruby.org/doc/dragdroptut.html
http://www.fox-toolkit.com/draganddrop.html

>  Then I heard that *JRuby* has built-in GUI
>  support via *swing*. To confuse me even more (and believe me it does not
>  take much for that), now I heard about a tool named *clutter* which is
>  supposedly very nice.
>  I am actually looking for *quick* and *easy *way to create a GUI appl.

For *quick* and *easy*, I'd suggest Shoes
(http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/shoes/), but it doesn't support
drag-and-drop that I know of.

FOX seems pretty quick and easy as GUI toolkits go, and relatively
full featured. Swing certainly is familiar if you are used to Java GUI
development, and has plenty of visual UI design tools available, so it
might be the easiest (but someone whose spent more time using it from
Ruby than I have can say more.)

>  My questions are:
>
>  What are the pros and cons of *Ruby* vs *JRuby*?
>  How far behind "regular" *Ruby* *JRuby* is?
>  Since *Ruby* is written in *C* and *JRuby* in *Java* isn't *Ruby* faster
>  than *JRuby*?

JRuby is, mostly, faster than and compatible with Ruby 1.8. The JRuby
team has taken the stance that anything where it is slower than the
main interpreter is a "bug".

>  Other than *swing* in *JRuby* is there any advantage of using *JRuby*
>  over *Ruby?

Other than Swing and speed (but related to Swing) is the ability to
leverage other Java libraries.