From: "Hal E. Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com>

> At any rate, I would like to see the message number remain
> easily accessible. If it has to be moved, I would favor the
> end of the subject line or the first line of the body.
>
> As for a header: Well, you may flame me, hate me, or denigrate
> me, but my most commonly used email client is Outlook Express.
> To view a header here is not completely trivial, and I don't know
> of a way to make certain ones always visible. Retrieving the
> message number would be inconvenient enough I probably
> wouldn't ever bother.
>
> I know I am not alone in this. We might all wish to be full-time
> Linux hackers, but I have many apps that I use that are only
> available on Microsoft, and I have many friends and colleagues
> with whom I have to interoperate closely. I still spend most of my
> time [at home] on Windows.

Since the problem most often voiced about the numbered subjects
was that it interfered with threading, I'd be curious, I must
admit, to know how a vote targeted at that particular dilemma
would have come out.  E.g.

   [ ] My client can thread 'em fine as-is
   [ ] Moving it to the end of the subject would get my
       client threading properly
   [ ] My client could only thread properly if the numbers
       were removed from the subject completely

Ah well, . . . e pluribus unum and all that :)

Regards,

Bill