On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Diego Bernardes
<di3go.bernardes / gmail.com> wrote:

> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>  > Diego Bernardes wrote:
>  >> What is the best way to get a really nice gui in ruby?
>  >>
>  >> Opengl? Flex? Air now is going to Linux, maybe a alternative, i like
>  >> Opengl but i think its alot complicated, have any other good one that i
>  >> dont know? cairo?..?
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Thanks
>  >
>  > Well ... define "really nice GUI" ... :) :)
>  >
>  > Seriously, most of the toolkits will do the common things and require
>  > similar levels of coding effort. But since you mention OpenGL, I'm
>  > assuming you want something involving 3D and motion.
>
>  Things like this:
>  http://screenfashion.org/the_wiinstrument_on_leopard.png
>  Nice colors, animations, blur...
>  This application is build on top of Gosu, im making a game with gosu too
>  so i know a little of it, gonna give it a try
>
>  Im tired of the same look app all the time, year after year...
>
>  I think the only way its opengl or air(flash/javascript), im gonna use
>  flash because its more easy XD if it dont do what i want to do i switch
>  to opengl >.< to use flash with ruby its with the AMF protocol right?
>  the rubyamf? anyone already used it?

I have used RubyAMF before but only when integrating with Rails.  It
takes a little bit of playing around to get associations working
properly, but overall it works well.
If you're going to use Flex, I'd recommend using the Cairngorm
framework to structure your application.

I built some rake tasks which inspects your rails app and generates a
lot of the actionscript boilerplate associated with tying Rails and
Cairngorm together...  It is almost in a releasable state, let me know
if you're interested.

>  Among the normal toolkits (gtk,qt,wx,...) i really like Shoes, have some
>  nice features from Processing and NodeBox and have a nice coding, i
>  liked alot :)

Michael Guterl