On 3/23/08, Mark Bush <mark / bushnet.org> wrote:
> Jeff Patterson wrote:
>  > which object I'm referencing). If the kernel has a hash of references,
>  > why can't we access it?
>

> Not any use to you at all, but in Smalltalk, variables are just keys in
>  a namespace and namespaces are dictionaries (hashes).

Not in general, they aren't.

Global variables, Pool Variables, and IIRC Class Variables are bound
through associations in Smalltalk dictionaries (although this might be
implementation dependent, and perhaps historical). Instance variables,
parameters, method and block temporaries are not.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/