> As has been pointed out, there are various
> issues with the concept of "the name of an instance" notably that every
> object can have any number (including zero) references pointing to it.

That may be correct, but "a number-based system" can be beautiful. Any
LPC MUD should convince a sceptic that finding all the various objects
in the system based on their id (or cloned instance in case of the LPC
world) is nice to have.

For me it seems visually appealing to have all the various objects
floating around in one's mind - with their id tag attached to them
directly :)