Jeff Patterson wrote:
> Is there a system hook that allows a method to get an instance's symbol
> from its' object id?
>
> i.e.
>
> a=SomeObject.new
> SomeSystemhook(a) => :a (or "a" I suppose)

The problem is that the variable is not the object, just a pointer to
it.  And there can be multiple variables pointing to the object.  So:

a = SomeObject.new
b = a

Now "a" and "b" both point to the same object.  How would you choose
between returning :a and :b?

If you don't mind, then for instance variables you can do something
like:

def get_instance_variable_symbol_for_object v
  instance_variables.each do |var|
    if value = instance_variable_get(var)
      return var if value.object_id.eql?(v.object_id)

Untested.