On Mar 20, 2008, at 7:04 AM, Matthew Moss wrote:

> I wonder... Seeing as how there was little discussion and only one
> solution submitted, did y'all think this was:
>
> 1. Too difficult?
> 2. Too time consuming?
> 3. Not interesting?
> 4. Other?
>
> Just curious... just trying to get a feel for what quizzes will work
> and what won't.

I looked at solving the quiz.

At first I thought I would just build a name-to-position-in-file index
and then binary search that to find matches.  I think this makes for a
smooth solution to the current quiz, but it doesn't really address
future quizzes that may want to query on different fields.

When I went back to the drawing board to account for that, my best
idea shifted to:  stick the data in a relational database and query
that.  Of course, this isn't original (the database page tells you to
do this) and it doesn't really show off any Ruby (save how to connect
to a database).

Given that, I was holding out for a better idea, but I never had one.
In short, I felt too dumb to play along this week.  :)

James Edward Gray II