On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 04:06:01PM +0900, s.ross wrote:
> Hi--
>
> A few updates to http://gemmy.calicowebdev.com.
>
> + Added description field if one is present. This is typically either
> blank or the same as the summary, but where it differs, it is expanded
> on demand.
> + Added more weight to gem name in an attempt to tweak full-text
> matching accuracy.
> + Removed "it just breaks" dependency on cookies.
> + Added a bit more commentary to the results count to explain why only
> 25 are shown when 2300 are found.
> + Added obligatory dumb logo.
> + Added some "help" text (as if people who need Ruby Gems need help!).
>
> The goal of this tool is to be pretty quick and pretty functional and
> pretty bare bones. Just the facts.
>
> As always, I'm interested in your comments and suggestions --
> particularly whether search is finding what you expect and whether
> help is helpful or a waste of time.

It looks excellent.

is a touch small, and a way to unexpand it again after expanding might be
nice, though I suppose the unexpand isn't really important.
+ Cookies: Glad to hear it doesn't break without cookies now.  Thank you.
Even though I'm accepting cookies from the site, websites that fail
without cookies bother me -- and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
+ 25 results: Are you planning to add some functionality for seeing the
rest of the results at some point, or just expect that people will refine
their searches somehow if they don't get the results they wanted?
+ Logo: I like "{ zippy graphic omitted }".  Don't take my preference in
this for objective advice, though.
+ Help: In my opinion, the way you have the help text presented is
excellent.  Keep it.

I tend to keep JavaScript turned on in my browser, but there are (of
course) others who do not.  The fact the Gemmy Gem Browser is unusable
without JavaScript seems like an unnecessary limitation.  This probably
isn't the most important problem to fix, but you might consider it for
the future, in case someone wants to use it from Lynx, or even write a
command line script in Ruby that accesses results from GGB.

I'll have to give it a more thorough going-over later to see how I like
the result sets.

Thanks for putting in the time on this.

Patrick J. LoPresti: "Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1)
Generates a syslog message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk
quota by 100K; and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!"