From: Daniel Berger [mailto:djberg96 / gmail.com]=20
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:45 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: win32 File.size slow?

On Mar 18, 12:56=A0pm, "Nation, Carey" <Carey.Nat... / turner.com> wrote:
> Last week I posted a question about incorrect file sizes coming back
> incorrectly from File.size? for really large files. =A0I changed my =
script
> to use the win32 version, which returns the correct sizes, and now the
> script is unacceptably slow. The bottleneck is the File.size call. My
> scripts startup went from about a minute to, well I don't know because
> it's never finished. =A0I'm walking a file path that is somewhat =
indirect,
> but the other file operations perform well. =A0I'm reading files, =
using
> UNC paths, through samba on linux boxes that mount a giant file system
> through fiber.

That's interesting. The File.size method is really a wrapper for
File::Stat#size, which uses stat64() to stat the file in question. I
wonder if it's choking on the Samba/UNC path. Wouldn't be the first
app to do so.

What happens if you replace File.size in lib/win32/file.rb with this
version:

# Untested
class << self
   def size(file)
      handle =3D CreateFile(
         file,
         GENERIC_READ,
         FILE_SHARE_READ,
         nil,
         OPEN_EXISTING,
         FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED | FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING,
         nil
      )

      if handle =3D=3D INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE
         raise Error, get_last_error