Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Tony De <tonydema / gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>        ......................... it seems that all the page magic is coded into the
>>  web page itself.  I didn't see any info (perhaps that's not how JQuery
>>  works) on accessing the DOM elements from a cgi or ruby code.
>
> That's not how it works, period. JavaScript running in the browser
> sends a request to a server process, which returns a response; it's
> up to the in-page JS to handle the response appropriately.
>
> But there's no way for the server to directly manipulate anything on
> the client.

@ Hassan,

Ok, I get that part.
So, for example, looking at the examples on the JQuery website.  When I
look at the source or any of the example page demos, which as I
understand it is using AJAX, I don't see any call to an external script.
It appears it is handling things locally, perhaps sending the request to
the "local" AJAX server, but not a a server script (say cgi) and the
script sending a request back to the AJAX server on the client.

tonyd