Dear somebody,

After looking for an equivalent to Applescript on the PC and after
trawling loads of stuff, Ruby looks like  its for me. However I can't
set up a simple tcp send  and receive to an IP address which is
running a TCP server app

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require 'socket'

s =TCPSocket.new("192.168.0.178",13)
data = s.recv(150)
puts data                // check I I get the initial response string
from server ok
s.send("/showcommands",0)
data = s.recv(3050)
puts data               // nothing is displayed on console
s.close

I get the initial connection OK  and the connection response from the
server, which I put to the console (just to check), however RDE says
the data variable is nil ??
I then try to send a string "/showcommands", which the server should
respond to with  a string of data.

Can someone show me where I'm going wrong.

regards

Paul