Sorry for replying so soon but I had to ;-)

"Sounds like time to repost (yet again, can't we add this to a FAQ
somewhere?)

http://rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyOptimization"

I think collecting it in one place would be best for both
newcomers and old rubyistas.

Personally I think all useful things (to a general user
base of ruby) should be collected at the official homepage - or,
in case it would not qualify, there could be links.

External servers should be somewhat reliable too though.
The following result assents me here slightly when I try to
visit above URL ... ;-)

"Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET
/Ruby/page/show/RubyOptimization.

Apache/2.2.3 (Unix) DAV/2 PHP/5.1.6 SVN/1.1.4 Server at rubygarden.org
Port 80"

Regards