On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 02:53:54PM +0900, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:20:54PM +0900, s.ross wrote:
> > It occurred to me that the way I was finding Gems was by making notes
> > of what I saw coming across this list and various other disorganized
> > ways. That didn't seem too bright and searching RubyForge didn't
> > always turn things up as I expected. So, having a dull hour or two, I
> > cobble a browser together.
> >
> > Obviously, this is a really crude attempt and I'm just looking for
> > comments regarding whether it's useful:
> >
> > http://gemmy.calicowebdev.com
> >
> > It's only running on one mongrel and I've done little to optimize it.
> > The searching is performed using ferret. Comments welcome on this as
> > well.
> >
> > Currently searchable fields are gem name, author, and description. If
> > this seems like a bright idea, I'll probably add user annotations and
> > tags for starters and make them searchable as well.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your comments.
>
> It appears to be broken.  There's no submit button, and hitting Enter
> doesn't do anything when I've entered a term in the Find box.  Am I
> misusing it somehow?

Okay, so I figured out it doesn't work without accepting a cookie (a
misfeature, in my opinion).  There's also the problem that there's no way
to link directly to a given search, as far as I can tell.

Is there some reason that a blank Find field shows 25 results?

I like having an online gem search tool with a clean interface like this.

awj @reddit: "The terms never and always are never always true."