On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Marc Heiler <shevegen / linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Anyone of you has a few hints on how to speed up ruby code?
>  (Note - not writing it, but running it ;-) )
>  If you know a few more hints, please add!

ParseDate#parsedate is expensive - it uses rationals, gcd and other
heavy stuff to convert from [D, M, Y, H, M, S] to timestamp.
Once we did a log merger and we ordered the entries by time. We saved
a lot of processing time by storing the timestamps in the logs along
with the formatted date.
(They were removed afterwards during formatting.)

ERB#new is expensive. Cache compiled templates if they are to be reused.

Use /o switch for Regexp literals that contain constant
#{substitutions} (i.e. that do not depend on function parameters)