On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 04:58:27PM +0900, Roger Pack wrote:
> Wow that does indeed help (once figured out).  for me on my G4 it was
> (after I figured out I had a 7450  processor)
> export CFLAGS='-mtune=7450 -mcpu=7450 -fast -fPIC'
>
> and compile with --disable-pthread
>
> and voila, a faster Ruby (not sure if the real reason was the compiler
> flags, the pthread, or the updated version from p110 to p114, but
> something helped it--I'm guessing it was the compiler options).

I suspect --disable-pthread had the largest impact.  The cost of memory
allocations can be high when linking with the threading library.  Re-run
your tests without the other options if you want to verify.

I'm also surprised you got improved performance with -fPIC.  I thought
position-independant code was supposed to run slower, usually.

Paul