On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:21:50 -0500, Manuel Montañés wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm novice in linux, ruby and rails. I've reinstalled my ubuntu
> operative system, the ruby module, and also the rubygems module. After
> that I've updated rubygems by this command:
>
> sudo gem update --system
>
> Ruby gem was updated successfully, but now I can't use ruby gem, each
> time I write:
>
> sudo gem list -r
>
> or:
>
> sudo gem help commands
>
> or something else, I get the follow answer:
>
> /usr/bin/gem:23: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner (NameError)
>
> I don't know what it means, so, does someone know the meaning? and does
> someone know how I can fix it?
>
> Thank you very much.

You should ideally be unable to run gem update --system on Debian and
Ubuntu. This was discussed here on ruby talk, and also in a Debian bug at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452547. I wouldn't know
whether this change has propagated to ubuntu yet, but you shouldn't run
"gem update --system" when the system package manager is in charge of
which rubygems version is installed on your system.

To fix this, apt-get install --reinstall rubygems, and get rid of any
rubygems stuff you may find in /usr/local

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/