On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:
>  You know sometimes it is just the right tool to use, *sometimes*.
>
>  Cheers
>  Robert

100% agree.

My 2c on the topic...

I think of eval and other meta-programming tools in Ruby (funny, that
we use the same acronym for monkey-patching) like giving a Nascar to
your 16 year old kid to take his/her driver's license test in.  In the
hands of a skilled driver, however, the car performs some kind of
magic.  Or maybe a better analogy would be putting someone behind the
stick of a fighter jet with baby-safe control systems in place to make
things stable, and expect that person to be able to actually fly the
thing.  They can at first, until they hit turbulence.

I'm still a kid in that respect, and try to avoid meta-programming as
much as possible (I actually use these features in Ruby quite often;
not much at all in other languages).

Todd