Lionel Bouton wrote:
> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>> Lionel Bouton wrote:
>>> - 1.0 was slower than MRI (between 2x and 3x) and 1.1RC2 slightly
>>> faster (5 to 10%), the code was mainly doing floating point
>>> computations.
>>
>> I did some investigation on the benchmarks.
>>
>> - I skipped FRANK because it was already easily 2x as fast as MRI
>
> If you happen to get a similar problem, for the reference DOUG makes
> 1.1RC2 crash here.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip.

> I couldn't find any download for jruby trunk (nightly builds would
> be even nicer than the RCs). I've not much time so I'll just assume
> that this was fixed and not a corner case hit in my environment.

Unfortunately our nightly build system is a little on-again, off-again.
The easiest way would be to just check it out and build it. Provided you
have Java and Ant, it's trivial:

svn co http://svn.codehaus.org/jruby/trunk/jruby
cd jruby
ant
export PATH=`pwd`/bin:$PATH   # optional, you can just bin/jruby too

That's really all there is to it. And if you're benchmarking, I strongly
recommend Sun's Java 6 and -J-server flag to JRuby for best results.

> Sorry I didn't have time to submit this on the spot and forgot about it
> later. Glad I could submit this before the final 1.1 and to see that you
> react so quickly.

We're really pushing performance in 1.1, so this is timed well. It would
have been nice to have it filed as a bug, but at least I saw it here.

> By the way, I looked at Nailgun and it would indeed be a good fit for my
> requirements. Thanks for the pointer.

Yeah, I'd love for someone to help the Nailgun guy update it and fix a
few bugs I filed. Specifically, having signals propagate across would
make it a lot more usable, since C-c on the client would do an
equivalent action on the server. But signals are a bloody hard thing to
map to multiple VMs either way.

> I've seen a recent video of Matz presenting Ruby 1.9 to the Google
> people (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEkJvvGEtB4). He spoke of
> alternative Ruby VMs and mentionned that JRuby worked great and now had
> even better performance than MRI in the general case.
> I think he made one of the best compliments one could expect from him
> when telling "I've mixed feelings about this" :-)

Yes, I thought that was pretty funny too :) We had dinner with Matz the
night before, so I think he's taking it all in stride. And we still have
some work to do before we can say we're faster than 1.9 in all cases
(though we're already faster in several).

- Charlie