Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Lionel Bouton wrote:
>> - 1.0 was slower than MRI (between 2x and 3x) and 1.1RC2 slightly faster
>> (5 to 10%), the code was mainly doing floating point computations.
>
> I did some investigation on the benchmarks.
>
> - I skipped FRANK because it was already easily 2x as fast as MRI

If you happen to get a similar problem, for the reference DOUG makes
1.1RC2 crash here.

I couldn't find any download for jruby trunk (nightly builds would
be even nicer than the RCs). I've not much time so I'll just assume
that this was fixed and not a corner case hit in my environment.

> - All the remaining cases showed up as being slower or only slightly
> faster than MRI, which is very unusual. So I ran a sampling profile and
> that pointed me toward Struct being slower than it should be. Struct
> hasn't been updated with many recent optimizations in the rest of the
> system, and I'm sure it can be made a lot faster.
>
> I filed a bug: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-2220

Sorry I didn't have time to submit this on the spot and forgot about it
later. Glad I could submit this before the final 1.1 and to see that you
react so quickly.

By the way, I looked at Nailgun and it would indeed be a good fit for my
requirements. Thanks for the pointer.

I've seen a recent video of Matz presenting Ruby 1.9 to the Google
people (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEkJvvGEtB4). He spoke of
alternative Ruby VMs and mentionned that JRuby worked great and now had
even better performance than MRI in the general case.
I think he made one of the best compliments one could expect from him
when telling "I've mixed feelings about this" :-)

Lionel