Hello Bill,
Thanks for your quick response.  You gave me the following example.
>   spring = Season::Spring
>   summer = Season::Summer
I typed this into my NetBeans IDE and it indeed shows that both spring
and summer are valid object.  My follow-up questions are more to learn
than to question the validity of your answer since I am trying to
understand this:

1  Why do you have to create enumerated objects this way?  This seems a
long way off from Ruby's philosophy of being succint.  Just to define a
few "object" constants I have to go through this?

2. In the code block below:

  NAMES.each_with_index do |name,index|
    instance = new(index)         # Create a new instance
    INSTANCES[index] = instance   # Save it in an array of instances
    const_set name, instance      # Define a constant to refer to it
  end

The block is apparently setting the "name" to the "instance".  What does
this buy us from a programming point of view?

Bharat