It's been so long since I've done this, I realized I forgot, and it
got to me, so I just played with it for a few minutes to refresh my
memory.   It helps if you've had the unfortunate experience of having
scripted word before using {vb|j}script.
Sadly the ruby docs and webpages, as helpful as they are, don't give
you a good feeling for the word ole object(s).  Dig up the docs for
scripting word from a more native microsoft scripting language.

require 'irb/completion'
#unfortunately this doesn't add completion for ole methods, but hey,
it's nice to have..

require 'win32ole'
word=WIN32OLE.new('Word.Application')
#Very important, so you can see what you're doing :)
#if you forget to do this, and ruby seems stuck/hung,
#word is probably displaying some sort of dialog (like save)
#and needs input.  If that happens, open up another cmd
#and run...
#ruby -e "require 'win32ole';WIN32OLE.connect('Word.Application').visible=true"
word.visible=true
word.Documents.Add()
word.Selection.Paste
word.ActiveDocument.SaveAs('C:\Test.doc')
word.ActiveDocument.close
word.Quit

Good luck
--Kyle