Phil Tomson wrote:

> I think Ruby would be an excellent first language to learn.  Easy to
> learn, concise, clean syntax...
>
> I've actually volunteered to teach object oriented programming to total
> newbies (they've never programmed before, I'm waiting for somebody else to
> teach them how to use an editor :) at a local non-profit agency.  I'm
> planning to use Ruby for this.

Are you writing your own course materials or using someone else's?  The
reason I ask is that my son has expressed some interest in learning how
to program and I've been considering teaching him using Ruby.  But
there's a lot more to teaching someone how to program than just the
language details, so I'm starting to fish around to see what's out
there in terms of course materials for an intro programming course.

> Definately don't start out by learning C++, it's a huge chunk to
> swallow...

I'd second that opinion.

--

Jonathan Entner