> I'd be at least a little interested in potentially offering developers
> the chance to 'lock' their classes from monkey patches.

IMHO part of the problem rather is that ruby by its own actually
doesn't provide a way to do this systematically. IIRC there was some
talk about stacked methods in ruby 1.9.x but I personally would rather
vote (if there were a vote) for something simpler like advices as they
are used, e.g., in emacs lisp. No matter what one thinks of elisp,
Emacs is a rather complex system and advices are used in several parts
of the system and IMHO they have proven as a simple yet versatile and
rather robust way to achieve what often is summarized as MP. I suppose
a standardized defadvice would be more robust than the current eval-
or alias-based hacks. And since Emacs is a complex system that makes
heavy use of these techniques, one could probably learn from it.

I know this can be done in pure ruby as it is today rather easily. My
point rather is this should somehow be standardized, i.e. the standard
library should provide standard means to do this.

Regards,
Thomas.