In article <3C234E84.7772F1BF / htp-tel.de>,
Tom Karas  <Tom.Karas / htp-tel.de> wrote:
>Hello rubiest,
>
>i am willing to learn either a script-language (python, ruby) or a
>non-script-language (c++,java,delphi-kylix).
>
>I found this article: An empirical comparison of C, C++, Java, Perl,
>Python, Rexx and Tcl for ar search/string-processing program
>(You can find it at:
>http://edok01.tib.uni-hannover.de/edoks/e001/327614196.pdf)
>
>And i thougt it would be good to start with python.
>
>  1. Because of the development speed (as written in the article
>(phd-thesis or something))
>  2. The intention to run my (still to be written) small GUI app under
>Linux and Windows.
>  3. The apparently wide use (see: http://freshmeat.net/browse/160/)
>
>But, I heard about some conceptual flaws of python and i also read here
>that ruby is quite similar to c++ (which i maybe will later learn).
>
>My questions are:
>
> 1. Is ruby a good thing to start learning programming even with
>nearly no knowledge

I think Ruby would be an excellent first language to learn.  Easy to
learn, concise, clean syntax...

I've actually volunteered to teach object oriented programming to total
newbies (they've never programmed before, I'm waiting for somebody else to
teach them how to use an editor :) at a local non-profit agency.  I'm
planning to use Ruby for this.

> 2. How far is the development of something like Tkinter-ruby
>(i read here also about some flaws of Tkinter and i read about
>the comfort using  wxPython - and that theming like in java
>swing would be better) so that i can start to work and learn
>under windows 2000 and be able to run my app later an linux too.

Hmmm.... can't really comment on Tkinter - I think it's the Tk GUI toolkit
for Python.  Ruby has severy GUI toolkits available that will run on
Windows and Linux - Tk, FOX, FLTK...

> 3. Are there enough documentation and tutorials online even for a
>no-experience-programmer

I think we're starting to get there.

> 4. Is it true that learning ruby will help a lot for learning c++
>later.

Probably.  While learning Ruby you can't help but learn about object
oriented programming.

Definately don't start out by learning C++, it's a huge chunk to
swallow...

Phil