On Feb 23, 5:26 pm, Avdi Grimm <a... / avdi.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Marc Heiler <sheve... / linuxmail.org> wrote:
> >  It is frustrating to try to read a blog that claims monkey patching is
> >  destroying ruby when in actuality the author meant Rails.
>
> No, I meant ruby.  I have been coding in Ruby for ~7 years, since long
> before Rails appeared.  At work I'm the first to correct people when
> they make a comment about "Ruby" when they really are talking about a
> Rails-specific feature.
>
> Yes, I used a Rails example.  And I suspect that it's true that the
> phenomenon is more prevalent in in the Rails community than in the
> wider Ruby community.  But for better or worse the majority of Ruby
> code being written today is being written for Rails, and the Ruby
> coders of tomorrow are cutting their teeth in the Rails community.
> Rails cultural  problems will, increasingly, be Ruby cultural
> problems.
>
> --
> Avdi

Sorry but you are contradicting yourself. Part of growing in the Ruby
culture is learning the difference between both communities and how
they overlap. I got into Ruby because of Rails and I can tell the
difference very easily. Did it take me some time? Yes. Was it worth
it?  Definitely. So, please, don't make it harder for the people that
are new to understand the difference between the communities by
muddling the waters.

AEM