Christopher Dicely wrote:
> I get the same problem if I install with "gem install bioruby" (which
> installs bioruby 0.6.4). If I do "gem install bio", which installs
> bioruby 1.2.1, I don't have the problem.
>
> (I didn't actually try loading anything, but
> Bio::Alignment::MultiFastaFormat produces an uninitialized constant
> error in the first case, and refers to a real class in the second.)

I managed to get rid of the error message by just adding the line:

require 'rubygems'

as a first line in the code. I'm not sure exactly why this works, but
the advice was given by one of my supervisors. I don't have
administrator's access to my computer so I cannot install any updates
without going via the IT department, something that usually takes a
couple of days.