------art_7877_27349403.1203942906716

I am yet to give scala ago, however from my current understanding...

scala and java both compile to byte code that runs on the JVM.  Therefore
they both share a runtime which will make it more straightforward to get the
two to co-operate.

The only "shared" runtime for java and ruby that I am aware of is, JRuby.

Alternatively if your application can be separated into tasks that do not
need a high level of communication you could possibly spawn a java process
seperate from the ruby process.

simon