1. Though Ruby is touted as simple by many, I think it's quite advanced
at the same time (and there's no conflict there).  If you can stick to
the basics, while somehow avoiding the more subtle things, I bet you'll
be fine.
2. Dunno.
3. If you have no experience programming, there's a lot more to learn
than Ruby syntax/features.  I haven't seen any doco like 'Learn How To
Program Using Ruby'.  But you have to start somewhere, and I wouldn't
let the lack of this doco hold you back :-)
4. I have to say that I'm surprised at the comparison (maybe I need to
read that paper you mention).  I would say that knowing Ruby would only
help you learn C++ in the same way that knowing /any/ language would
help you learn /any other/ language.  C++ and Ruby are quite different,
in all the dimensions I can think of.  OK, they are both OO, but in C++
OO is essentially a bolt-on.

Best of luck in your pursuit of learning to program, regardless of the
language you choose!

=====