On Feb 24, 11:24 am, "Avdi Grimm" <a... / avdi.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Bob Hutchison <hu... / recursive.ca> wrote:
> >  Aside from that, there isn't a lot to argue with in your blog posting.
> >  Your points individually are fine and quibbling over insignificant
> >  details on a mailing list is a waste of time (though it might be ideal
> >  in a pub :-) In other words, I don't disagree with anything you say
> >  until you start drawing conclusions. I *like* monkey patching and I
> >  approve of its proper use. Furthermore, I don't special case the abuse
> >  of MP, it is just like any other abuse of a feature: bad.
>
> Thanks.  I think the reason I'm making a special case of monkey
> patching is that, at least in some subsets of the community, I'm
> seeing it morph into almost a standard extension technique.  How do
> you extend ActiveRecord::Base?  Why, you re-open it, of course!
> That's how everyone does it!

This whole point could be moot if each library could have it's own
rendition of (core) classes/modules.

Then with two types of require: one simply to call on a library and
another to fully integrate a library, extensions and all, then we
would have full control over the whole MP affair.

Yes, we can have our cake and eat it too! But it's up to Matz to be
our Marie.

T.