On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Bob Hutchison <hutch / recursive.ca> wrote:
>  Aside from that, there isn't a lot to argue with in your blog posting.
>  Your points individually are fine and quibbling over insignificant
>  details on a mailing list is a waste of time (though it might be ideal
>  in a pub :-) In other words, I don't disagree with anything you say
>  until you start drawing conclusions. I *like* monkey patching and I
>  approve of its proper use. Furthermore, I don't special case the abuse
>  of MP, it is just like any other abuse of a feature: bad.

Thanks.  I think the reason I'm making a special case of monkey
patching is that, at least in some subsets of the community, I'm
seeing it morph into almost a standard extension technique.  How do
you extend ActiveRecord::Base?  Why, you re-open it, of course!
That's how everyone does it!

This could be more of a Rails thing at the moment, but as I commented
earlier, Rails culture will increasingly become Ruby culture, because
that's where the new Ruby programmers are coming from.

--
Avdi