Avdi Grimm wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wrote a blog post with the intentionally provocative title above,
> which can be found here:
>
> http://avdi.org/devblog/?p=18
>
> While the title is a bit of deliberate hyperbole, I am genuinely
> troubled about the popularization of monkey patching in the Ruby
> community.

That so many people use the phrase "monkey patching" suggests many
people don't actually understand how to use it.

It's no more "patching" than reassigning to a variable is patching.

"ZOMG! You're changing something at runtime!"

Yeah, happens all the time.  Use with caution; get on with life.

Maybe if people weren't so spooked by metaprogramming they'd see it as
yet one more feature of the language and use it appropriately, rather
than treating it like high-priest voodoo that seemingly works by magic.

--
James Britt

"Serious engineering is only a few thousand years old. Our attempts at
deliberately producing very complex robust systems are immature at best."
  - Gerald Jay Sussman