Hi folks,

I wrote a blog post with the intentionally provocative title above,
which can be found here:

http://avdi.org/devblog/?p=18

While the title is a bit of deliberate hyperbole, I am genuinely
troubled about the popularization of monkey patching in the Ruby
community.  I explain my reasons more thoroughly in the post, but
here's a synopsis:

  Monkeypatching has become the hip thing to do in the
  Ruby and (especially?) Rails communities, and it has
  reached the point where experienced programmers are
  turning to it as the tool of first resort *even* when there
  is a simpler, more traditional solution available.  I
  suggest that it's time for Ruby hackers to start setting a
  better example.

My hope with this post is to start a conversation about fostering
robust software extension mechanisms in the Ruby ecosystem.  I welcome
any comments, both here and on the blog.

--
Avdi

P.S. Before anyone accuses me of it, yes, this is a kind of
self-promotion.  But I really do want to start a conversation about
this, and no one reads my blog.