> Anyway, I can live with the fact that Ruby is 25% slower on data
> crunching when PostgreSQL can fly. In the future I'll simply use 32bit
> systems for web frontends if my benchmarks confirm this trend.

As an aside, have you measured a 32-bit ruby binary running on the
64-bit system?

I recall you mentioned trying a 32-bit ruby in a chroot ... but what was
puzzling me was why the chroot was needed?  I'm relatively new to
64-bit linux, but I have a couple servers now, running 64-bit debian
systems, like:

Linux fragbait 2.6.19.2-amd64.080215-grsec #1 SMP Sun Nov 18 06:48:46 PST 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And they have a /lib32 as well as a /lib64, and provided I install
(with apt-get) the 32-bit versions of whatever libraries are needed,
they seem perfectly happy to run 32-bit binaries right alongside
64-bit binaries, no chroot needed...

So it seems you ought to be able to run 32-bit ruby and 64-bit
PostgreSQL side by side with no problem?

Regards,

Bill