On Feb 17, 2008 5:48 PM, Thufir <hawat.thufir / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 10:03 pm, "Christopher Dicely" <cmdic... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since the main use is lookup by reference, and hash is designed for
> > keyed access, hash would seem to be the natural container to use. I'm
> > not sure I quite get what you are saying about iterating through a
> > singleton instead, could you explain a little more?
> [...]
>
> There's one set of rooms, which may have sub-sets, of course.  But,
> for the set of rooms you may want to iterate through each room for
> whatever reason.  Putting the rooms into a Singleton allows such
> iteration in an inherently thread-safe way.

I'm not sure I follow you.  As far as I understand it, singletons
refer to templates (the singleton classes) that allow instances of a
class to have unique behavior if need be.  It seems to me that
instances of a Room would not need that.  The only way I can currently
imagine why one would need that is if the behavior of a single
instance of a room changes during runtime.

> Admittedly, I don't really understand Hash that well.

It's just key/value pairs (where the key or the value can be any object).

Todd