On Feb 18, 7:27 pm, Active View <active.v... / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I am doing a project using Ruby. It is a SMS to Email sort of thing.
> Hence, I need to know if it is possible to connect to Hyperterminal
> using Ruby. If it is, how?
>
> I have already completed most of the stuff using scripting on
> Hyperterminal. So, suggestions not to use Hyperterminal may not be a
> good one.
>
> Will appreciate if anyone here can help.

I just want to provide an alternative to the Ruby module.

I work a lot with the serial port, including from Perl. After a lot of
bloody battles trying to install and then use Perl's libraries for the
serial port(*) I solved the problem in a completely different way.
I've implemented a bi-directional serial2socket bridge as a smallish C+
+ executable (about 100KB in size). This, along with a simple Perl
module that uses the preinstalled libs to talk with it using a socket,
allows me to comfortably control the port with Perl. It should be
similarly simple with Ruby. You can download it here:

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/files/prog_code/perl_serial_comm.zip

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask me at
eliben / gmail.com

(*) Perl actually has a library that installs on Windows, but it's
pretty bad, buggy and very poorly documented.

Eli