At Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:46:45 +0900,
matz / ruby-lang.org (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote:
> |Another one, what about registering the filenames to a list?
>
> I know it leaks.  But they are small memory chunks.  Do I have to fix
> this, despite the risk of making GC slow?

It certainly makes GC slow, lookup a hash for each NODE's.  And
also it's sure that this can be a problem for only long-life
programs loading many files repeatedly.

Alternative way is just registration to a list, and making all
NODE's refer them but not mark while GC.  Still this doesn't
enable to free unreferred strings, it avoids wasting memories
undefinitely at least.

Or making nd_file a String VALUE...:-)

Nobu Nakada