2008/2/16, Piotr Sawicki <piotr.sawicki / gmail.com>:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
> > Your point being?
>
> I run this on  ruby-1.8.6 (Linux and cygwin [WinXP]).
> Why memory used by ruby process grow?
> Is that normal behaviour ?
>
> I wrote the same progam on python and perl and I have discover that that
> this problem occur only in ruby.

Well, concluding from the postings not all versions of Ruby on all
platforms suffer this phenomenon.  As far as I can see so far you have
proven that

(1) on cygwin on Windows XP and on Linux
(2) Ruby version 1.8.6
(3) will allocate and free memory in a way that
(4) the OS shows continuous increasing size of used memory
(5) for a particular program, namely one that allocates memory at a high rate.

Whether that's a bug or not is probably really a question for ruby
core. There might be multiple causes for this observed behavior
including but not limited to Ruby's GC.

Kind regards

robert