Ben Bleything wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008, Tony Garcia wrote:
>> Granted - and I am using memcache as a queue in this case. I've done a
>> lot of looking and can't find much else that will do what I need - and
>> Joyent has memcache already installed.
>
> Twitter uses a queue that talks the memcache protocol, but I can't
> remember what it's called.  Geoffrey Grosenbach recently posted a cool
> blog post about message queues, too.
>
> http://nubyonrails.com/articles/about-this-blog-beanstalk-messaging-queue

I read that. It's what pointed me toward memcache, actually. Again, part
of the problem is that I'm on a shared Joyent server, and I was trying
to work with what they had. Installing a beanstalk server isn't a very
good option for me at the moment.

>> If anyone has a better suggestion, I'd love to hear it. This is the best
>> I've been able to figure out on my own.
>
> I think the main problem is that memcache just isn't intended for what
> you're trying to do.  The hash solution you came up with will get the
> job done, but it's a bit of a hack (as we both seem to agree).  If it
> works though, there's not really any reason to change.

My biggest concern is scalability. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to
change things before too long.

Thanks