On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Idealone Ideally <shekarls / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I have 2 files which are placed in two different folders. These folders
>  are not under any Classpath & i am using a windows system.
>
>  I have the following snippet of program, which i am stuck with,
>  FILE 1:
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  <rubycode>
>
>  class Test
>
>  puts " This out is from file1 "
>
>  end
>  <rubycode>
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  FILE 2:
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  <rubycode>
>
>  require "Test"
>  puts "This output is from File2"
>
>  <rubycode>
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  If File 1 is and File 2 are in two different locations, i get the
>  following error :
>  FILE2.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- Test (LoadError)
>         from run.rb:1
>  If both the files are in same folder ,it works but if they are located
>  in different locations it fails,
>  How can make it work, should i provide anything under "require"

First of all, you have to require the name of the file, not the name
of the class inside, so as you are doing require 'Test' I will assume
that File 1 is called Test.rb.

If the location is always the same relative to File2, I mean, if File2
can always rely that Test.rb is always
a sibling directory called xxx, you could do:

require '../xxx/File1'

the $: variable is an array that contains a list of directories that
require looks for
files. You can push there that folder if you need to require more than one
file:

$:.unshift "../xxx"

That variable is initialized, among other things, with whatever you
pass in the -I
param to the ruby executable. So you could keep your require 'Test' and just
do:

ruby -I ../xxx File2.rb

I hope I don't have any mistake in the above, it was all from the top
of my head,
and not tested, so beware of typos :-).

Hope this helps,

Jesus.