Thanks for the suggestion.  I had not considered that.  I also should
have been a little more explicit about the .NET stuff.  Each child
project really represents one or more solutions.  And in addition to the
solution build itself, I want to be able to create databases, run unit
tests, create deployment files, etc, so yes the child rakefiles are more
than just a call to msbuild.

I'd also like the individual child projects to have a build independent
of the root build which is why I was attempting something like I've
described.  I could likely take the approach you've described and put
everything in one root build file, but I still think I'd prefer to have
separate independent rakefiles if I can work it out.