On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:48:03 -0500, Kent Dahl <kentda / stud.ntnu.no>
wrote:

>Ron Jeffries wrote:
>> Is there a memory stream object in Ruby, analogous to Smalltalk's
>>
>>         ReadStream on: "abcdefghij"?
>
>Not in the standard library per se, AFAIK. However, for most of my
>usage, I can use File objects and Strings quite transparently for both
>input and output.
>
>If you'd shed some more light on the intended usage, there'll be a
>plethoral of solutions posted in the wink of an eye :-)

For example, to test code that works on files by setting up a string
and passing it to the file code. So one might want to read lines or
bytes or whatever from it.

They're also handy for building up strings, but that can certainly be
done with string ops.

Thanks,

Ronald E Jeffries
http://www.XProgramming.com